Pencil 2D FAQ (now open)

Pencil2D Forums Miscellaneous Pencil 2D FAQ (now open)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 66 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Jose Moreno 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

Despite my better judgement I’ll release the work-in-progress FAQ page I’ve been writing for a while now since people don’t seem to read the forums, and to be honest it’s getting a little daunting that I don’t have control over the website layout >_<

http://www.pencil2d.org/faq/

If you have more frequently asked questions you’d like to nominate or point out DO IT BY COMMENTING IN THIS THREAD.

• #27885 Score: 0

aspd
    Participant

I am a new “pencil” user. I am not sure if this is the correct place for my question.
    I have some paper drawings. I have scanned them used edit – import image so that the first of my drawings is inserted on the first frame (bitmap layer).

I can use the rubber and the pencils and edit the drawing but I cannot select a part of the image and move it (with dotted rectangle).

I would like to copy the same picture on another frame, but on a different position (shifted), as if the character was walking.

Can that be done in pencil?
    Thanks in advance.

• #29114 Score: 1

Zach Cantwell
      Participant
      1 pt

So I downloaded the nightly build of Pencil and it’s been working fantastic so far, only a few minor bugs. I’ll be getting a drawing tablet soon and I was wondering if the nightly build is compatible with tablets and if so, how will I set it up and get it working?
      Thanks,
      Zach

• #29117 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
        119 pts

@zachcantwelltv Hey. For maximum compatibility please download the latest Nightly Build, don’t use the download version 0.5.4b. If you don’t know where to get it just visit the download section of our static page at http://pencil2d.github.io

If you use a Wacom tablet it will work right out the box. The Pencil tool is a bit faulty right now as it needs about 50% of strenght to start working, but the Pen tool works like a charm.

If you’re planning on purchasing a screen tablet like a cintiq or a similar product, i’m afraid that I can’t say if it works or not properly. Some people have said it does some others have had issues, but this relates to your screen calibration and this mainly relates to how you install and configure your drivers, but we have no way to help with individual consumer hardware installation that since there are too many variables to consider and that’s what manuals are for.

Bottom line, if you install your tablet drivers and do all the required procedures, not only Pencil2D will work, but any other drawing program will work. It usually boils down to your computer configuration and your OS choice.

For example I use Windows 7 with an Intuos 5 Pro and it works great so far. Hope this helps to clear your doubts.

p.s. If all fails you can use Krita too.

• #29116 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
      119 pts

Hi thank you for your interest in pencil2D. I’ll give you a short answer followed by a longer explanation.

Short Answer: You can copy and paste anything that has been selected with the marquee tool, but “shifting” is not possible, I mean, you can paste the drawing on the same place but you’d have to redraw how the legs and the arms fit on the new pose.

Copying and pasting is a bit counter intuitive for now. But the main problem I see with bringing scanned images into Pencil2D, is that scanning would create images with colored background, so cropping those would be difficult on Pencil2D with the marquee tool.

I’d suggest you use Krita which is free and open source and would allow you to use a filter to turn white (or any color) into an alpha channel. After processing them you could then use their transform features to do what you want with ease and then re-export those to use in Pencil2D if you’d like.

EDIT: I’m sorry I got a notification that you had asked this question again today, but it was a mistake. Hope things are well, take care.

• #27886 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@adaigio Welcome to the Pencil2D forums! It’s ok to ask here, if others have a similar question we can nominate it to be included in our live FAQ.

Now to answer your question: If you’re using version 0.5.4b which you can download here: http://www.pencil2d.org/pencil2d/#download

YES, you can move parts of a drawing, and you can copy them from one frame to another, BUT you can’t flip over a drawing yet (I hope i’m understanding what you need correctly).

We apologize for this but our developers are working very hard to improve on this behaviour so there will be a proper move / selection tool in the near future.

In this short video I recorded I show how to use the selection tool and how to copy & paste a drawing from one frame to the other, also I show a workaround to flip a drawing horizontally if you decide to give Pencil a go.

I forgot to mention at the end that using the snapshot tool will take a flattened image / composite, so the white colour behind the character will also appear in the flipped drawing that you paste, instead of being just the strokes.

I’ll have you know that the white bckground for pencil is just for show, in reality every drawing is being drawn over a transparent background, so when you export the drawing only the lines drawn with the program or any bitmap image that you imported will be shown in the final render.

For now this is the easiest solution I’ve come up with without having to use heavier or more difficult programs. Depending on the complexity of your drawing you’ll have to clean the remaining whitespace.

Hope this helps.

• #27887 Score: 0

aspd
      Participant

Thanks for the answer. I ‘ll try your suggestions. I am using pencil v04.4b in ubuntu 12.04. I’ll try also the newer windows version.

• #27888 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@adaigio You’re welcome, actually you can also try the debian packages for the 0.5.4 version. It’s on the download page I linked on my earlier post.

But If for some reason you can’t find it, here’s the direct link for the Linux binaries:

http://download.tuxfamily.org/morevna/morevnapackage/binaries/pencil/

Glad to be able to help, and hope to see your work in the future of you decide to share it with us 🙂

• #27899 Score: 0

gordie
    Keymaster
    25 pts

I added it to the website menu, under Pencil2D>FAQ (or would it be better under Pencil2D>Documentation>FAQ ?)

• #27902 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@admin Hey man! good to see you <3 Hmm To be honest I had to put that big notice in the about page, because I think no one that visits the site uderstand that the top manu bar is actually a menu bar! We've had many people complaining and asking "where do I download this?" "how do I use this?" I think most people are not aware that there are several menus nested "inside the words"

If possible I'd put the FAQ on a menu of it's own, as I was also thinking of making a developer FAQ for new people that want to contribute but don't know where to start.

p.s. Hope things have been well for you, happy new year!

• #28034 Score: 0

Sagar Adhikari
    Participant

where is onion skin button in pencil 2d animation v0.5.4 dev

• #28039 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@sagar_adhikari Hey! the onion skin feature is located on the View Menu > Onion Skin:

Or it is located in the Display Options panel below the Color Palette

The Previous button will activate all the frames that are before your current frame

The Next button will activate all the frames that are after your current frame

In version 0.5.4b you can see through up to 3 frames before and after your current frame.

To configure this you can go to Edit Menu > Preferences > Tools Icon > Onion Skin Properties

However bear in mind that any changes to the Onion Skin Properties will only take effect after you re-start the program.

Hope this is helpful. Let us know if you have any other question!

• #28286 Score: 0

ironcross49
    Participant

How do i move a image without moving everything like the drawings i did.

• #28287 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@ironcross49 I apologize first if I don’t understand your question correctly. I’ll try to answer the two scenarios that I think answer your question as I understand it. If none of this answer your problem, please try to be a bit more specific. If you want you can even try to post a series of screenshots for your problem.

1) Canvas (Workspace) Translation: this will move the image “visually” to ease drawing, but it won’t affect the original drawing position i.e it won’t move the drawing in the animation.

A) Press & Hold the spacebar and a hand icon will appear, click and drag with the hand tool

B) Select the hand tool from the toolbox to the left. Click & drag the canvas to move it.

C) Press & hold the middle mouse button (push the scroll wheel down) the drag the canvas

2) Image (Drawing) Translation: You can move selected parts of images from their original drawing position & they will appear animated from frame to frame by changing places.

To do this you need to:

A) Pick the selection tool (it’s the dotted square icon)

B) Left Click & Drag a dotted marquee over the part of your drawing that you want to move.

C) With the selection active, select the Move Tool (Press Q or click over the Black Arrow Icon)

D) Left Click & Drag from the center of the dotted marquee towards the outside. Without letting go of the button take your cursor to an approximate position of where you would like to move that part of your drawing. The selection won’t appear to move, but once you release the left click, the selected part will move accordingly

E) Click outside the selection marquee / dotted square to finish the selection process. If you don’t do this, when you go to a different frame, whatever piece of drawing that was in the same area of the selection, for that particular frame, will move to the new position.

For a bit more explanation of the latter method, please watch the first part of this FAQ answer where we explain briefly how the selection tool works combined with the move tool. In this video it is used for copying and pasting a drawing between frames as well as moving it around the canvas.

• #28291 Score: 0

ironcross49
    Participant

@<span style=”color: #0f3647; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 20.5714px; text-align: center; text-decoration: underline;”>Jose Moreno </span>

THANKS

• #28336 Score: 0

Charlene Davis
    Participant

Hi, I am new to Pencil and I’m sorry if you are sick of this question, because I know its been asked before but I can’t find where the answer was posted;

when I try to fill with the bucket tool it only fills red regardless of the colour selected. I have tried enlarging the area being filled and have made sure it is enclosed properly but it still won’t work.

Also, I have tried the “click and drag” method to move a frame and it won’t do this either, is there another way of moving frames along the timeline?

I am using Pencil 05.4 on Windows 10

Please help!

• #28339 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@charlene_davis Good day Charlene. Don’t worry about it 🙂 I do recall someone else had this issue. It seems it’s a problem present with that version of Pencil2D for Windows 10 and some MAC OSX versions.

The quickest way to find out if this has been fixed in the recent app snapshots is to go and download a Nightly Build from this thread.

Pencil2D Nightly builds 2016

Match your operative system and try out the build for January 15th 2016 …the name of the file you have to download in the google drive link should appear like this:

Pencil2D-win-20160114.zip

Once you download the file, just unzip it and run the Pencil.exe and it will run. You don’t need to install it.

Try out the same steps as you do with the old version, and let us know if it works properly. That would mean the problem has been fixed. If it doesn’t work, please try to write down which steps you take, in the new version now, so our developers can reproduce the problem and fix it for later versions.

I’ll be pending for your response. Please let us know if it works or not. Thanks!

• #28447 Score: 0

Charlene Davis
      Participant

Thanks Jose,
      sorry it’s taken so long to respond. I actually discovered a short cut solution to the bucket issue, (only filling red), if you select red in the colour panel on the right and then, when the palette pops up from that, select the colour you actually want from there, it will fill correctly.

• #28350 Score: 0

sky009
    Participant

Hi, I’m new to the program. I’ve been looking for a hand drawing program to try out and am really excited to try this program! The one thing though is when I go to use my Wacom tablet there is about a 2 second delay between my stroke and it actually being drawn. Is this something someone has asked before and is there a solution to it?

• #28354 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
      119 pts

@sky009 We are aware of this problem and our developers are working to solve it properly for a future release. Every platform suffers from it, so don’t worry you’re not alone.

The only thing I can recommend you to ease the problem is to make the Pencil2D window smaller than your full screen size, that means that you have to pull the edges of the software window in order to occupy less screen space, as we have found that when it’s actually a smaller size, the drawing is “refreshed” faster. Hence your strokes shouldn’t take as long, but note this is only a temporary solution and we will work towards fixing this. Thank you for your understanding, hope this helps.

• #28370 Score: 0

Darck Crystale
    Participant
    7 pts

Hi!

I think this FAQ is cool, but maybe you could create a table of content listing all questions, with a link to the answers, on top of the FAQ? It’s a bit complicated to search particular things :'(

You could maybe manually add anchors on each title/question and make a list of link pointing to each anchor. I don’t know if an easier way exist on wordpress to create table of contents, my method is pretty barbarian ^^’

• #28371 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
      119 pts

@darckcrystale You are correct my dear. We could totally use a category table. However I’m not the webmaster so my edits are severely limited.

I’m planning to make the FAQ a bit more….interactive in the future, but that takes time and I’m quite busy these days. The anchors are not working properly in this wordpress template for some reason (they always jump beyond their intended line) and I’m waiting for our webmaster to update the whole website theme to something a bit more easy for both users and moderators so we can take advantage of that.

For now rest assured that the FAQ is a “live document”, that means it’s not set in stone and it will change with time, as it was devised to answer the incredibly constant flux of familiar questions that we get. Particularly for the “export” issue and why Pencil2D is not exactly what users expect it to be 😛

I’ll see how I can patch it up to make it less daunting, but for now that’s what we can have in such short notice. Thank you for voicing your concern! have a wonderful day <3

• #28383 Score: 0

Darck Crystale
        Participant
        7 pts

Hi!

I saw that you can’t do all stuff on the site, but I thought you could edit the FAQ easily, so sad you can’t T_T

Thank you to be so active and nice on the forum, that’s already very helpful 🙂

Have a nice day too!

• #28396 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
          119 pts

@darckcrystale Would you mind taking a look at the FAQ now? I managed to make an html table to organize the entries. For now it’s just to see if it helps other people to reach the content faster, later I’ll see how to organize it better. Let me know and thank you for your suggestions <3

• #28400 Score: 0

Darck Crystale
            Participant
            7 pts

@morr

Hi!

That’s great! Maybe you could insert icons instead of abbreviate names of OS in the table, but it’s really not important ^^

For the organization, I’ll maybe propose an order for questions/sub-chapters to sort questions by type next week if it could help you 😀

Thank you for this job, I find it a lot more clear now!

• #28570 Score: 0

Andrew Haskill
    Participant

Hi I’m new to this Pencil 2D program and having a little trouble with a certain aspect. I am using the Windows edition of the program and I am attempting to import some audio into my creation. However none of the music installed on my computer is able to import. Why is this? Do I need a certain format of audio?

Thank you.

• #28572 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@ahaskill53 Hi Andrew. Please note that v0.5.4b is really old (almost 3 years), despite being the “stable” version. Audio and export features won’t get fixed until the next stable release, but For possible audio solutions please visit our FAQ which has an quick guide to fix it under WIN 7 (will possibly work under WIN 10, but it’s not been tested)

https://pencil2d.github.io/doc/faq/#when-i-import-sounds-i-can-see-it-on-the-layer-but-i-cant-hear-anything-windows-only

• #28632 Score: 0

Jacob Gomez
    Participant

I am new to pencil 2d and I am having trouble downloading this software to start animating.

• #28633 Score: 0

Jamez
    Participant

I’m not exactly new to pencil, I’ve used in the past and it failed me when I needed it the most. However it’s doing well so far, kind of crashes when it can’t seem to handle something. However it’s not that much of a problem. However I did it once and now it doesn’t work. What I mean is I’m trying to resize a image on my layer that I drew but it’s just too big. Same goes for my backgrounds. I know I did it once but now it doesn’t seem to do the thing. And this is pencil 2. Can anyone help me? Please? I have a big animation that i’ve been working on for some months and I don’t wanna abandon it after I’ve came so far. :c

• #28634 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@j-gomez491 right now http://www.pencil2d.org is slowly becoming our community (i.e forum) site, Please try to download the program from our new static site here:
    http://pencil2d.github.io/download

Also remember the files are not to be installed, they are portable versions of Pencil2D. There is no installer involved.

• #28635 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@coffee-vee I’m afraid Pencil2D is not well versed with huge resolutions (2k and above) just yet since we do have a memory management issue.

I’m going to recommend several things:

1) Please, please, please, make a backup of both your .pcl save file and your data folder into a different location (better a different disk or usb), if you run into the memory leak all of your animation will become corrupt and impossible to recover. This is just a precaution.

2) Regarding the resizing, for the moment I can only suggest exporting the frame you’re trying to resize, and resize it in a different program like GIMP, Krita or Photoshop.

Sadly I can’t help much more unless I see the problem up close. So if this answer doesn’t satisfy your needs please share a screenshot (or even better a video) of your problem to see if we can think of a different way to solve it and help you out. I’ll be pending your answer to continue with the support.

• #28638 Score: 0

AnimooSenpai
    Participant

hi i’m kind of a new “pencil2d” user and i know u guys have been working hard on the program but i have been trying to make a cool where a guy shoots another guy with a deagle and the other guy fulfills his dream and hangs out with snoop daawg in paradise but there have been a lot of program crashes first of all i know i should save like every 4 frames even if it’s hard to continue an animation on pencil when the program has already been closed… Pencil 2d crashes for me a lot my pc is good and im not overworking neither “pencil” or my pc but pencil still crahses when i try to do some things that may just make the program think a little more then it usually does but i still dont overwork it.

Sorry for the long post.

Sincerely ‘AnimooSenpai

• #28639 Score: 0

AnimooSenpai
    Participant

and the sad thing is noones propably not gonna refund me the time i wasted and the stress that is gonna ruin my health a small, small bit because of the crashes where i lost propably a little more then a hundred frames

• #28640 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@animoosenpai First of all, I’m truly sorry to hear about your repeated issues with the program. It is indeed sad that some people get more crashes than others since it ruins their day beyond any measurable conception of pain. However let me tell you, you’re not the only one that has suffered repeated fatigue and rage-inducing episodes by this software. We all have had our fair share of computerized stupidity poured into our own eyes thanks to it.

Please try to use a Nightly Build before giving up on P2D, you can get them here:

http://pencil2d.github.io/download/

Now here’s the deal, Pencil2D is an open-source program, that isn’t defined as a “free” program, but rather a piece of software that is worked by many hands and built together, however the people who work to help this program improve aren’t their owners, actually at this moment I don’t think anyone really owns Pencil2D, as opposed to software like Krita, or Blender which have their own “foundations” to support the program.

All of us here are volunteers and very much users like you, and as such we can’t work 8 hour shifts to help ease everyone’s pain, which to me should be the ideal way.

So let me say this once and again. I don’t use Pencil2D. I don’t. Then why do I try to help everyone else who does? It’s not that I don’t “believe” in the program, but the software is simply too broken at the moment for professional use, it’s that simple.

To avoid having your health deteriorating from Pencil2D usage, then I’d suggest to stop using it for some time, export an image sequence with whatever progress you have for your current animation and use a different software.

If you really want to animate for the rest of your life, invest early in professional software like TVPaint, ToonBoom or AnimeStudio. The latter is the cheapest from those three and can also do cut-out.

Now if you really have no budget, then there are still some open-source tools that can be of use.

Blender is a 3D animation Suite, with several different tools under it’s belt, and recently it’s getting improvements so people can create hand-drawn 2D animation in 3D space, and you can see examples of it in this vimeo channel by Daniel M. Lara who is a professional animation artist and instructor whose recently won the Goya (spanniard Oscar) for his masterful work:

You can also use the newly invigorated Krita, which has been bundled with animation capabilities.

Krita 3.0 Release Candidate 1 Released

Look at Temmie Chang or Achille Bibard (who has worked for Space Dandy) work to see what they did with Krita recently:

Temmie: https://twitter.com/tuyoki/status/681037508201844736
    Achille: https://twitter.com/_Achille_/status/560596586926198785

Last but not least is the new rave software called OpenToonz, which is the closest to a professional suite geared specifically for 2D animation, however you have to read a ton to learn how to use it, but if you’re willing to do it iot will reward you.

http://opentoonz.github.io

Now, there’s a catch, all the previous software I’ve mentioned, will still crash at one time or another, any commercial and professional software will crash as well at some point. Of course they are more stable than Pencil2D, but the reality is that no matter how expensive and how much we curse Pencil2D software will still crash.

I can only provide you with these options so you won’t ruin what little health you still have, but I warn you, doing animation is an endless path of suffering aimed at the artist only if you don’t enjoy doing the hard work and have an open mind for all the kind of potential issues that might arrive in the future. Life isn’t as simple.

Hopefully if you use any of the other software I want to invite you to still show us what you’ve done around here.

I hope this helps and (after re-reading my post) I apologize if anything sounds like I’m scolding you, I’m not, I’ve been in your shoes losing work and pulling my hair, so I don’t have any qualms upon recommending other software that I know will make your life a bit less crashy, but not a whole lot simpler, because despite it’s flaws Pencil2D is the simplest program there is to animate, and in the future we will somehow manage to make it work for others, of that you can be sure. Cheers.

• #28747 Score: 0

zhexi qiao
    Participant

Hello, I am also very new to Pencil and animation in general. Sorry that I am asking through a reply, but I can’t seem to post a topic in the forum… Anyways I cannot select a layer. I know that the circle next to the layer’s name either hides or shows the layer, but they are unselected and I cannot seem to select them. The program just asks me if I want to rename my layer. However I can delete my layers and recreate a bitmap layer but it shows up with another vector layer and the same problem repeats itself. I cannot draw on the canvas because the program says that it’s an invisible layer, and creating new frames doesn’t help. Please help, and thanks for your time.

• #28750 Score: 0

tiber
    Participant
    4 pts

Hallo to everybody !
    I apologize for my long silence, but my curiosity about Pencil2D project is still alive.

I’d like to understand better the architecture of the software, just the core. Where could I find an updated state of art document about development (2016) and bug archive and fix ? A compact PDF instead of sparse web pages should be better

@Josemoreno: I see the forum is not very visited, but we’re in summer time.
    Last time I login here, there were spam problems

I’d like Pencil2D could include some bitmap morphing & warping fuctionalities in the future. Making just cutout animation is not the best for frame to frame animation pros and amateurs too.

And I noticed there are not yet open source morphing-warping editors available. This plugin could give added value to Pencil2D and let people reconsider the role of Pencil2D as inbetweener in complex 2D animation projects, joined with other more famous and used open source packages (Krita, Blender, Synfig Studio … even Gimp has plugins for making animation, now)
    Other packages free (Vectorian Giotto, Monkey Jam, Winmorph and so on) are not open source and they’re even limited to one operating system.

Bye

• #28754 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@tiber Hey man, to be frank that document doesn’t exist, we literally have no developers working on this right now aside from Matt Chang and two guys who came by 1 months ago then vanished.

I’ve tried to recruit people for the project without luck, and since i’m just a mod I have no clue how the code works exactly.

The most important place to see which bugs exist, what has been fixed and whatnot is the Github repository.

https://github.com/pencil2d/pencil/issues

Here’s the issue that Matt opened alerting us to which features should be in the next release:

https://github.com/pencil2d/pencil/issues/505

Regarding the forum problem yes, Gordie alerted us that there was an “infestation” of spammers so he had to close any new login for almost 3 months…so the site is kind of dead. Many people register but noone talks.

The morphing and warping functionalities would be nice, but I think we would need a plugin or add-on system implemented first. That way we could other people to develop their own plugins to patch pencil functions instead of messing witht he code, which not many seem to want to.

Thanks for letting us know you’re alive and well 🙂 Take care!

• #28900 Score: 0

Brandon
    Participant

Hi. I’m quite new to Pencil and I’ve run into a problem. It didn’t use to happen but it’s getting worse and worse.
    When I’m using the paintbrush tool, it only works for about 2 – 3 strokes until it starts to make a big blank square/rectangle in it’s place, also erasing the drawings within the circle.
    This problem is getting worse and worse by the minute. Now I can barely do 1 stroke without it putting a blank square in it’s place. My only solution is to quit the program and open it up again, and keep doing this over and over again. Is it something wrong with my computer? Or is it the program? Please help!
    I’ve also realized that pencil also says “not responding” really easily whenever I use the bucket tool over large surface areas, and when I look at the command box (I don’t know the actual name, but it’s the black box that opens up with pencil) it keeps showing a bunch of random coordinates, and next to them saying something like “out of range”.

• #28908 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
      119 pts

@brandon44863 Hey Brandon. Indeed this is definitely not normal, however I’d like to ask of you first: Which version of Pencil2D are you using. 2) Which operating system are you using.

IF: You are using version 0.5.4b of Pencil2D, please try out this new version, which has several fixes but it is not final:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxdcdOiOmg-CcWhLazdKR1oydHM

IF: You are using MAC OSX (with any of it’s flavours such as lynx, leopard or whatever) as operative system, then You can try the same Nightly build but, it might not work. This is because MAC has several issues that have been tough to fix compared to Windows.

By any means, if you see you’re not getting anywhere with the software I can recommend you to review this list of animation software alternatives just so you can try out other options meanwhile we fix and release a proper version in the future:

pencil2d-software.tumblr.com/post/145767476221/when-youve-worked-all-day-on-your-animation

• #29004 Score: 1

Anthony Tran
    Participant
    1 pt

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just can’t find it in FAQ I am new to this software and I run into a problem where the timeline bar isn’t there. I tried to delete the software and re-download it again, but still the timeline bar isn’t there. I tried looking for a button that will bring the timeline bar back, but still. I hope you could answer this question.

P.S. Sorry again if this message has a lot of grammatical error English isn’t my number one language.

• #29006 Score: 0

TheNarrator
      Participant

i have the same problem except that its with the frames i tried downloading 4.4 and 5.4 (the beta version) and uninstalled them and did this about 3 times for both of them and whatever i do is that the frames show up and also when i try to change my writing color it doesnt change at all (Windows 7)

• #29008 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
      119 pts

@pandascientist Hi, don’t worry that’s why I created this thread. I think I’ve seen this question sparsely, but it does come up. Anyway I’ll copy paste the response I gave to another person regarding this issue, hope you don’t mind:

Troubleshooting Solution #1: First go to the Windows menu and check if all the panels are ticked with a checkmark. If not, then activate them.

Troubleshooting Solution #2: IF this doesn’t work then to reset the panels and windows position go to the View menu and press “reset windows” This should put everything in their default state.

Troubleshooting Solution #3: Also if you have more than one screen, make sure the panels are not floating on any other screen.

Let me know what happens.

@thenarrator Hey Sorry to hear you’re having issues. Truth be told version 0.4.4 and 0.5.4 are insufferably old versions. If you’re on a moderately modern PC please download the latest development build a.k.a Nightly Build. It has several improvements and fixes that have been gathered from a lot of input from the community. It is not a perfect version. But so far it’s been more stable than any of it’s predecessors, and a a personal experience it’s the first version of Pencil 2D that i’ve been able to use without critical issues (User experience is another matter but we’ll try to fix that in due time)

You can download an appropriate version here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxdcdOiOmg-CcWhLazdKR1oydHM#list

Note: It’s hosted on the google drive of the lead developer who maintains these builds. They are totally safe and work like portable versions. You don’t need to re-install or anything.

Hope this helps both of you.

p.s. Just to be extra clear, stop using version 0.5.4 and use the development versions, or you’ll get a lot of headaches.

• #29072 Score: 0

TheNarrator
    Participant

is there any way to keep onion skin but it won’t show all the images but only the one before it?

• #29073 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
      119 pts

@thenarrator Sure. You have to go to Preferences > Tools > Number of previous onion frames shown

But don’t get too crazy with it, try to use 10 frames tops. Here’s a visual aid to see what happens. Hope it helps.

View post on imgur.com

p.s Don’t forget to turn on the onion skin for previous and next frames on the “Display Panel”. The little diamond on the center changes the onion skin from absolute to relative. That means you can see adjacent frames (absolute) or keyframe containers (relative) [this is helpful if your keyframes are already spaced over the timeline while establishing your timing].

• #29074 Score: 0

Stephanie
    Participant

hi i’m tying to download 0.5.4 for the windows 8 but it keep giving me this Error (Don’t know how to do screenshots) “the program can’t start because phonon4.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem” but I’ve reinstalled it five if not more times and every time phonon4.dll was there what should I do

thanks in advance

• #29075 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
      119 pts

@amateuranimator Hi. Sorry to hear you’ve been having difficulties. Please don’t use version 0.5.4 It’s an old version that has many problems.

We now have a development version that has been fixed a lot, and although it is not perfect it’s the best version yet! Also it works like a portable version so you don’t have to install it. Just download the ZIP file for November 2016 found here:

When you download this ZIP file, if you’re on Windows, make sure you take a look at the file properties before extracting it’s contents to unblock the file. After extracting then just run Pencil.exe and that’s it! Hope this helps.

• #29076 Score: 0

Stephanie
        Participant

It didn’t work but I’m not sure if I needed to find a specific file or if I just needed to look at the properties I also used the 64-bit do you think the 32-bit would work

• #29078 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
          119 pts

@amateuranimator Hey. Hmm just to avoid further confusion here’s a video tutorial I made outlining the steps you have to take to ensure Pencil2D works.

If after following these steps it still does not work, then we’ll have to ask our lead developer to take a look into this issue. Hope this helps.

• #29137 Score: 0

Marie
    Participant

Hi there,

I know the FAQ section covers what to do when your sound layer doesn’t work. However I followed the instructions for average users (God knows I’m not a computer veteran) and the sound layer still isn’t working.

I did the process three times just to make sure it wasn’t me, but it’s still not working.
    I downloaded the file suggested and created the Qt folder in my C:/ drive and then extracted the folder inside the Qt older.
    I then restarted pencil, inserted a sound layer, added my .WAV file and placed a second Key frame.
    I used a 1 second .WAV file and had it set on 12Fps so my second frame was on 12.
    sound is activated.

But it still isn’t working.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Kind regards

• #29139 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
      119 pts

@marie Hi Marie, yes, there’s a development build of Pencil2D that has sound layers fixed. Please download it here:

Latest version for windows is Pencil2D-win32-20161102.zip
      Latest version for MAC is Pencil2D-mac-20151219.zip

This is basically a portable version of Pencil2D so you don’t need to re-install it.

A small warning though, since this is a work in progress, you can load sounds ok on a layer, but you can only play it from the keyframe it was loaded to. That means no pause and resume.

There is no scrubbing function either, for now; I’m sure it will come later on though. Also when you save your project the sound won’t be saved so you’ll have to reload it everytime you open the file.

• #29200 Score: 0

Sophie
    Participant

I’m new to pencil, but I can never get my timeline to go past 240 frames. I’ve put a keyframe past 240, and it works, but I can see it on the timeline.

• #29201 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
      119 pts

@tangenttangerines Hi! To change the size of the timeline please go to Edit > Preferences > Timeline. There you can change the length of the timeline.

View post on imgur.com

Also, just in case please use Pencil2D Latest Nightl Build. Do not use version 0.5.4 or else you’ll suffer from lots of bugs that have already been fixed. If you need assistance on how to get the Nightly Build please take a look at this tutorial, it even has subtitles now:

• #29225 Score: 0

Tweedpawn
    Participant

Hello, I just want to say that out of all the current software I’ve tried out in the past three months, yours was the only one that had exactly what I needed to do what I want to do for animation. I really enjoy the simplicity of a program that places tradition frame by frame first instead of puppet-based animation.

However, I have downloaded the latest nightly build, and the plug-in to allow me to import videos, yet I do not see any options to import video. s this a currently disabled feature? I’ve looked around on the boards, but maybe I missed it?

• #29226 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@tweedpawn Hey! Glad to hear Pencil2D is being useful for you. So far there’s not a video import function available, only to export. I’ll make a feature request for this soon hoping it will be possible to implement.

If you want to import a video you’ll have to export an image sequence from a different program and then import that on Pencil2D, however we’re in the process of fixing a problem with the image sequence import where each image is imported every two frames. We are bound to release a New development build with these changes soon I hope.

What I can recommend to solve your issue for now is, if you can create a GIF from your video you can absolutely import that just fine into Pencil2D and rotoscope it, if that’s what you need.

I found a software that makes GIF’s directly from videos, it’s open source. Here’s the link:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/qgifer/

And here’s a demo video from the creator:

Hope this helps 🙂

• #29233 Score: 0

LonelyCottonball
    Participant

Hello,
    I’m not really new to Pencil as I’ve already used it and gotten to know its features. However, when I export animations, I can’t help but notice that it cuts off the sides of some of my animations, and I’m unable to make it so that this doesn’t happen. Does the camera layer have any effect on this?

• #29234 Score: 0

Eddie
    Participant

I’m now to animation an I don’t know which version to download

• #29235 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@lonelycottonball Sure it does. Double click on the camera layer to change the export resolution. On the latest Nightly builds you will always see the camera layer “frame” to know what size your canvas is visually

@ryura100 you can download the latest development version on the following link under the “Nightly Build” section: http://pencil2d.github.io/download

• #29251 Score: 0

Jonathan
    Participant

Hello, I’m new to pencil2d so I’m not sure if this is the right place to ask

I’m having trouble to install it. I installed the pencil2d-0.5.4-20130728.1.x86_64.rpm from the repository with no issues however when I try to run it I get the following message:
    “pencil: error while loading shared libraries: libgif.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”

I do have giflib-5.1.1 installed, with “libgif.so.7” on it, so it should run, shouldn’t it?

• #29256 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@dimstar Hey. I’m not too linux savvy but it seems those rpm were made with very specific libraries to run. For now I can only direct you to attempt two options:

First, there are some Nightly builds that were made available by a friend of the project you can look at them here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-3xNJ86y4WsSmVUWk5rb2VkcXM

I think you have to execute the “makefile” file on the terminal, but i’m not sure.

The second option is to compile the newest source yourself. There is a very recent guide to that end for ubuntu, but it should work on any debian based distribution.

https://github.com/pencil2d/pencil/blob/master/docs/build_linux.md

If you successfully build it you’d be using the latest code with a lot of fixes, because the rpm you have is absolutely old. Let me know how it goes so I can see if there’s a way to ask a dev to assist us.

• #29260 Score: 0

Jonathan
      Participant

Thanks for the help,
      My computer run in Slackware, which is not a debian based distro, I have tried following this tutorial once but there wans’t any link to the source file, just a ‘coming soon’

I will try the latest Nightly build using the makefile. In the tutorial says Pencil2D must be built with the Qt 5, so that means I have to pass any parameters before running the makefile?

• #29261 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
        119 pts

@dimstar Apologies for the late reply. I honestly do not know much about using Linux to build Pencil2D, however QT framework is the same everywhere, you need the QT creator which is a graphical IDE.

Once you install it with all it’s dependencies, open the Qt creator and you’ll be prompted to associate a C++ compiler with QT5, this will be asked automatically and most people recommend GCC compiler for linux distros.

You should be able to open the project file (.pro) that comes with the source however remember that to download the source code you have to get it via ZIP file from the github repository (you can find those links on the right sidebar on this site)

With QT creator you just have to press the green arrow button that says build and you’ll be able to run the latest incarnation of the source code. I do not know how to make binaries though, so maybe a wiser linux user or developer might be able to help you out.

• #29342 Score: 0

Emily
    Participant

Um, I have a question, If there is a way, How do I take a screenshot of one of my animation key frames?

• #29346 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@emilydragon7 Hi! Hmm if you mean to export / save a still image. You can do so by going to File > Export > Image … > Then you will get an option dialog that will allow you to select the resolution (camera size) and the format (file extension / image type). I recommend always export to PNG as it is a losless image format, howver bear in mind that you need a background on your pencil 2D. The white bg you see is just a representation of transparency. So if you exported PNG it would save your image drawing with a transparent background.

If you don’t mind about a little compression (images for web, for example) you can use the JPG / JPEG format.

I hope this solves your question. Also remember to always use the latest version of the program. Previous versions tend to crash a lot more than they do now.

• #29437 Score: 0

picklesonmayo
    Participant

Hello.

I need help right now with my animation. I’m trying to export my animation into a movie, I’ve already got all the frames in place, but it won’t export. Whenever I try to export it, the export bar goes to 99%… then stops and crashes. Everytime. I don’t know how to do this and I worked really hard on it. I don’t want this effort go to waste.

What I’m thinking is that my animation is too long? It’s about 2857 keys/frames. I’m not sure if that’s too much, but it would be helpful if I could get a response.

I’ve also tried to export it as a image sequence, but it doesn’t work either. And I also don’t want to because I’ve already put all the frames in order to an audio that I pre-recorded.

Thanks!

• #29467 Score: 0

Opal
    Participant

Hello, i just downloaded Pencil2D, and it downloaded as zip, i cant find a way to actually open the program, i would love to get some help please.

• #29468 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    119 pts

@opaltb Hello Opal, normally a ZIP file is like a bag that contains all the necessary files to run Pencil2D, you have to extract it’s contents to a folder and then you will be able to run the program. On windows you have to take an additional step to ensure you are extracting everything correctly.

If you like there’s a video tutorial I created with this purpose which will guide you through these steps on Windows. If you have a MAC everything is more less the same, except you have to drag the only .APP file to your applications folder to “install” it.

Please let me know later if this was helpful to you.

Note: If you still can’t install it, please let us know which version of Pencil2D you are downloading (name of the file) and which operating system do you have along any error you get.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.