Pencil2D Nightly builds 2016

Pencil2D Forums Compiling & Development Pencil2D Nightly builds 2016

This topic contains 120 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Pierrot 1 year ago.

• Author

Matt Chang
    40 pts

Nightly builds are the bleeding edge versions of Pencil2D, which contains the most recent fixes and features.

Windows:  https://goo.gl/yunJod
    Mac OS X:   https://goo.gl/yunJod
    Linux: https://goo.gl/0A0qys  (provided by @oinkystudio)

You can help translate Pencil2D on OneSky!

Oct 10
    – Fix #527: Title gets an * after any changes are made. by @scribblemaniac
    – Fix #387: Users would not be warned when closing a modified document. by @scribblemaniac
    – Bug fixes and improvements (here) of Timeline by @scribblemaniac
    – Commandline overhaul, please refer to #528 by @scribblemaniac
    – Fix memory leaks at importing images by @edwrodrig
    – Movie export works again on Windows (but not yet for Mac/Linux)

July 1
    – Fix: Sound donesn’t play when using sound layer.
    – Modified zooming speed when using mouse wheel.
    – Fix #510

June 17
    – Release both 32bit and 64bit versions for Windows user
    – Add keyboard shortcut for “Goto Next/Previous frames” (@hankofficer)
    – Add a new language switcher as a drop-down list in Preference.
    – Add transparency checkerboard to color inspector preview box (@scribblemaniac)
    – Improve Mac experience, include .pcl/.pclx file associations and icons. (@scribblemaniac)
    – Improve brush size slider for value growth rates (@scribblemaniac)
    – Fix: Move the slider by clicking without dragging failed to change brush size. (@scribblemaniac)
    – Fix #426: Stopped color wheel changes from resetting alpha (@scribblemaniac)
    – Fix: Export as Image Sequence without selecting the camera. (@feeef)
    – Update translation from OneSky.

Mar 9
    – Translation: Update translations from OneSky, includes Spanish, German, Italian, French, Denish, Chinese and Japanese.
    – Enhance: Show zoom ratio on status bar.
    – Fix: 424, 429, 430, 432, 435, 436, 440, 442, 443, 446, 449, 450, 453, 465, 468, 476, 481, 484

Jan 14
    – Enhance: Add spinbox for changing brush size and feather size, by CandyFace
    – Enhance: adds a “Bezier” toggle to the poly tool allowing you to switch between straight lines and bezier curve fitting. by @derek_saif
    – Fix: Block shortcut keys if the mouse is active. by @derek_saif
    – Fix #411, #409, #402, #397, #390, #388, #385, #383, #382, #380, #385, #377
    – Thanks @derek_saif, @feeed, CandyFace and Jonas Thomas.

Dec 19 2015
    – Enhance: The ability to have onion skin match the keyframes.
    – Fix #376: select and move frames around in timeline.
    – Fix #380: temporary switch to hand tool by holding the SPACE key.
    – Fix: move/delete selection with keyboard keys.
    – Fix #375: eraser opacity
    – Fix #372: Fixed vector selection rotation

Dec 14 2015
    – Fix #337, #345, #363, #364, #367, #368, #370
    – A lot of fixes by @feeef, please see this.

Dec 5 2015
    Many fixes by @feeef
    – The preferences are now working (I didn’t work on the keyboard shortcuts though)
    – Onion skin is correctly working
    – Some updates in the bitmap brush engine (I still think it is not perfect and be improved)
    – Nightly build for Mac OS X is available.

Nov 29 2015
    – Fix crash on Vector layer painting.
    – Fix #304, #348

Nov 23 2015
    – Fix colour behaviour in the Vector engine by @feeef
    – Add japanese translation by tokyogeometry
    – Brush alpha handling improved by Spark01

• #27297 Score: 0

gordie
    Keymaster
    25 pts

Hi @chchwy 🙂
    Niiiice !

• #27300 Score: -1

tiber
    Participant
    4 pts

I think (maybe you’ve already discussed about it) it’s important to gather among us a test team of participants with different operating systems in order to check changes in coding.
    They should keep in contact with developers.

Personally, I have two notebooks: MS Windows 7 and an old MS Windows XP SP3 (just 1 GB RAM).
    I will “convert” the second one to a light Linux distro.
    Except Puppy Linux (I don’t like it), which distro do you suggest to me ?

• #27301 Score: 0

kaiko
    Participant
    24 pts

Win8.1x64bits…

I can help withing this OS, reporting as usual information to developers

• #27302 Score: 2

kaiko
    Participant
    24 pts

@chchwy

I just downloaded the two files with the Nightly build but the one Pencil2D-win-20140610.zip fails to start (error: could not find or load teh Qt platform plugin windows)

The one working fine with a Bitmap layer is crashing every time I try to use a Vector Layer. I manage to draw some lines but it instantly crashes and close it.

EDITED:
    I downloaded the MasterCode from Github Repository (23NOV2015), but Pencil still keeps crashing when using the Vector Layer

• #27307 Score: 3

oinkystudio
    Participant
    15 pts

I can help with linux since I’m using Ubuntu 14.04 in my machine. I’ll update you with the build when I get back from vacation.

• #27308 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@tiber I’ve hear Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com/) is a great linux distribution for artists, relatively light yet powerful, and it’s used by people like David Revoy from “Sintel” fame. I’ve used Ubuntu in the past and it was ok, but lately its become too cumbersome with their “unity” GUI.

• #27311 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@chchwy Thank you Matt! So far it’s looking good, I’ve had some hiccups during my testing, but it runs and drawing, now doesn’t feel like I’m using sandpaper over concrete. Great work everyone! Another step in the right direction 🙂

Here i’ll share something…

pencil_lady

I couldn’t export the image so I had to screenshot it. The camera layer bounds didn’t show up so i couldn’t frame it, and everytime I tried to export a PNG i got a JPG instead with part of the drawing on the top right. I’ll try later stuff to see if I can report properly.

For now let’s think of this as a victory, because I very seldom draw in pencil something haha 🙂

• #27312 Score: 0

kaiko
    Participant
    24 pts

@morr,
    About the image not completely exported, t is already reported long ago
    Bug #284
    https://github.com/pencil2d/pencil/issues/284

• #27314 Score: 0

abhi
    Participant
    3 pts

I ran it on wine in ubuntu, while using the vector layer it crashed, but ran smooth with the tablet, Onion color thing is not working and multiple key selection needed. If possible provide 32 bit one also and please if somebody can help with the ubuntu version.

Thanks for the nightly build.

• #27315 Score: 0

abhi
    Participant
    3 pts

how to delete this

• #27316 Score: 0

abhi
    Participant
    3 pts

Posting again because tested again

I faced the same problem as @morr duly pointed out by @kaiko that its a bug, any way here is the image

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="800"]Pencil test Nigtly build test[/caption]

• #27322 Score: 2

oinkystudio
    Participant
    15 pts

ok.. so I tried building pencil in linux using qtcreator and so far it is working.

There are some tools that were not working properly. Brush tool in vector layer and pencil tool in bitmap layer has some problem. The fill tool is not working unlike from feef branch.

There are improvements though like the camera border in display option. And also the hand tool where you can move the canvass smoothly.

Here’s the linux build

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0LATwtbVtB3Wndwd0IxY1RBd0E/view?usp=sharing

• #27323 Score: 0

MiSc
    Participant
    2 pts

I’ve tried the nightly on my Lenovo T500 with Windows 10 and I’m getting a really weird bug. Pencil starts up fine, but the window immediately goes out of focus when I try to interact with it. Alt-tabbing back into it does nothing, it just goes out of focus again on the first stylus/mouse click.

• #27324 Score: 0

happydonut
    Participant
    1 pt

Alright guys, I’m running Windows 8 on a Pavilion 23, and I got this as soon as I tried to open Pencil:

“Pencil2D.exe – System Error

The program can’t start because MSVCP120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.”

…Only I didn’t install it in the first place because it’s running off a zip. Any ideas how to fix it? Sorry if this is a noob solution, I’m not the best at computers :’l

• #27327 Score: 0

manu
      Participant
      50 pts

@happydonut

Hello! I don’t think it works to just run Pencil within the opened ZIP file, you need to right-click the zip fie and “Extact All” to a known location, for example C:\Program Files or C:\Temp or whatever you think is the best place for testing.

Happy testing.

• #27328 Score: 0

kaiko
    Participant
    24 pts

@happydonut

The issue is in your Win8.
    See the following video in order to fix the faulty .dll

• #27331 Score: 3

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

Just to give you a quick update of the state of Pencil devs.

I am a bit behind my planned schedule. I was planning to have a first full featured version today but I couldn’t manage that.

I have merge my branch with the main Pencil branch which had some refactoring. This refactoring is very useful in the code but Matt didn’t complete its work on that so it is what I am doing right now. I am mainly working on centralizing the settings management in one location (PreferenceManager) because there were settings handling everywhere, some could conflict with others and make the app unstable. With this refactoring, the entire app will be much more stable.

I hope to complete this dev very soon, fix the remaining bugs and maybe get a first beta of 5.5 next week.

I will keep you updated!

• #27337 Score: 0

happydonut
    Participant
    1 pt

Thank you @kaiko! The fix worked, so I’m testing right now. The overall look and feel of the program is much better now, sleeker and more user friendly. Unfortunately, almost all the drawing tools have downgraded, so here’s what I’ve got (testing on the bitmap layer):

– When Pencil2D is at full screen, the Brush and Pencil tools are considerably more jittery. Smooth curves are almost impossible to achieve and sometimes straight lines will appear out of nowhere. HOWEVER both tools are extremely smooth when Pencil2D is minimized.

– The Pencil tool is very light with no way to change opacity.

– Polyline now works like a Bezier Curve tool?? Except there’s no control, so it curves on its own whims.

– Smudge is useless unless you want some really trippy glitch effects.

Improvements:

– Select works fine and Move is smooth now, although the moved section will not show until you click outside the selected box.

– Bucket works much better now! Have yet to encounter any glitches.

Now, the vector layer has the most problems:

– Can only do one stroke with Pen, Pencil, or Brush tool, and then the program crashes.

– Same goes for polyline. I can do as many lines as I want, but once I double click and finish the shape, the program crashes. On the other hand, it doesn’t do the weird Bezier effect on the vector layer.

– All other tools have zero effect- bucket shows a light gray brush stroke but disappears when I lift the pen.

I haven’t gotten to animating yet as I’ve been busy, but I’ll keep updating! Again, as reference, I’m running 64-bit Windows 8 on a Pavilion 23.

• #27358 Score: 4

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

The latest nightly build is not the right version to start serious testing. Both my devs and Matt’s where not complete so, some features are not fully implemented or have been broken by the merge.

When I complete my devs, hopefully very soon, we should see much clearer as everything should be fully implemented. Testing will be more useful at this point.

• #27360 Score: 2

MiSc
    Participant
    2 pts

Thanks for keeping us posted, feeef!

Just a heads up, I tried again on Windows10/64bit last night and it worked, well, as much as it does right now, what with the bugged timeline and onion skins and all. The chancges to the UI are a great improvement though!

• #27362 Score: 0

Matt Chang
    40 pts
  • #27364 Score: 4

Matt Chang
    40 pts

Nightly build Nov 29 is out.

• #27366 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@chchwy  @feeef Thanks a lot Matt & feeef!

• #27367 Score: 2

manu
    Participant
    50 pts
  • #27368 Score: 0

oinkystudio
    Participant
    15 pts

The brushes are now better. The move tool is broken again. It’s not as smooth as previous build. Anyway, thanks so much matt and feef!

Here’s the linux build

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0LATwtbVtB3U2taUDJ6Sk1tNkE/view?usp=sharing

• #27369 Score: 0

abhi
      Participant
      3 pts

How to install on ubuntu?

• #27370 Score: 0

oinkystudio
    Participant
    15 pts

@abhi No need to install. Just unzip the files in your home folder. Go inside App folder then look for Pencil2d and that’s it. If it won’t open then right-click on Pencil2d then under Permission tab tick checkbox Allow executing file as program.

• #27371 Score: 0

slayerdude
    Participant

Hi everyone!

Having a trouble running on Linux Mint 17.1, here is my terminal output:

QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout “” to ColorBox “”, which already has a layout

/home/slayerdude/opt/pencil-Nov302015/app/Pencil2D: symbol lookup error: /home/slayerdude/opt/pencil-Nov302015/app/Pencil2D: undefined symbol: _ZN6QDebug9putStringEPK5QCharm

btw a regular version works fine.

• #27372 Score: 0

sfepa
    Participant
    52 pts

Is it possible to keep both types of dynamic (size and opacity) for brush tool? Just to have check-boxes to choose which one to use…

• #27374 Score: 4

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

Actually, as we have many tools in the toolbox, and I plan to have one tool for each dynamic behaviour. The brush would have dynamic opacity, the pen would have dynamic width and the pencil would have both. I think it is a correct behaviour for each of these tools and we should have a basic set of brush features to do great digital painting. At list, in a first step.

By the way, I have fixed most of the preferences from the preferences window. I ha been following Matt’s refactoring and I am pretty happy with what I have achieved. I will do my best to get a great nightly build for the coming week end.

• #27393 Score: 2

Matt Chang
    40 pts

Nightly build Dec 5 is out.

• #27398 Score: 1

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

For some reason the open and save dialogues are broken on my dev environment. I couldn’t understand why so I thought it may be something wrong with my QT environment on Fedora…

Can you confirm it is working ok for you with the latest build?

Cheers!

• #27399 Score: 0

manu
    Participant
    50 pts

@feeef

Well I tried to compile a 32-bit version for me. Usually with no troubles but tonight it just didn’t happen. I got this error and I’m no coder so I don’t know what to do about it, sorry 🙂

C:\Temp\MASTER\pencil-master\core_lib\managers\toolmanager.cpp:105: error: ‘isnan’ was not declared in this scope

if ( isnan( newWidth ) || newWidth < 0 )

^

• #27400 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@feeef On the subject of the individualization of tools, I think it would be a great Idea as long as the tools “functions” work similar to how Digicel’s Flipbook does. I’ve always thought that it is the commercial software that is closest to pencil in functionality and capabilities.

For that to happen the Pencil tool would have to create “pencil line objects” so the brush tool does not affect it’s pixel information but rather when combined with the bucket tool, it can be used only to color.

I think everyone developing Pencil in the future could benefit in taking a look at it:

http://www.digicelinc.com/Help/DigiCelDoc46.htm#Drawing

http://www.digicelinc.com/Help/DigiCelDoc46.htm#Painting (Here the brush tool is explained, but when you actually use it it won’t paint over the pencil tool lines, it will always paint below them, I’ll record a video later if it helps get the idea, but anyone can downlaod the trial and see for themselves)

Also if and when the bucket tool is improved, magic like this could happen:
    Flipbook’s Bucket tool demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ9jrj1WQmo

Now I understand @sfepa ‘s point as well. Because usually you’d expect a brush tool to work like in real life, that means to have opacity + size pressure sensitivity, but then we should discuss this more thoroughly so we can keep moving forward.

I’ll try to compile the code as well this weekend if it helps, although I don’t have linux installed on my workstation…maybe I could do it on my laptop with ubuntu but I’m not promising anything 😛

• #27401 Score: 2

manu
      Participant
      50 pts

@jose Moreno

I agree that Flipbook is something to look into when developing more functions into Pencil2D but at the moment the most important thing is to get a bug free 0.5.5 version.

Regarding the brush tools, I’d personally be satisfied with the “pen tool” in the new version. The only thing I would like added to the pen tool is maybe a feather function to get a bit more smooth line if needed.

• #27402 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@manu Yes. Bug free Pencil first 🙂 ! My comment is not much of a feature request but rather to give context within the discussion for those tools. Because after everything is fixed we NEED to discuss how the tools will really are going to behave for pencil to work in heavy production environments.

Also, right now we’re having Krita entering strong with their animation tools. Mostly every basic feature you need is there, plus the stability even for a beta version, that says a lot. So hopefully later on we can ask the Krita devs that assisted with that to help.

I want to propose other open-source projects sort of a meet & greet weekend (could be online or on-site) to voluntarily exchange devs or even advice, so maybe other devs can come and help us, and viceversa. But this would only happen once we have a strict roadmap of what features we need, what we want and what we have to fix overall.

Later on this december i’ll post all my proposals to promote pencil further so we can agree and discuss them more in detail. For now, le’s have faith in our devs as Pencil continues to get active!

• #27403 Score: 0

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

@manu, it looks like a headet is missing somewhere. I will try to investigate. I don’t know which header defines isnan().

@morr, I agree that we need to define specifications for the brush engine. We will get some feedback from users when the app will be working so we should have some good ideas based on that. At the moment, I am trying to get the basic features we need to start doing great drawings. Smooth lines is what I am working on. It is very difficult for me at the moment as I have never been implementing a brush engine before. However, I start to inderstand how it works and I will do some more work on it in the future. I will keep working on bugs on my side but feel free to get the best ideas about a great brush engine.

Also, don’t forget that we have a vector engine that is useful for clean lines and painting. The “paint behind” feature is already implemented in Pencil’s vector engine if you use the brush tool.

Some features may be all over the place at the moment but Pencil is still very promissing to me anyway! It has the potential to be a great animation software. Matt has already done some very good work in refactoring the code and new features will be easier to implement in the future.

• #27404 Score: 0

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

As devs, we need specifications so that’s a great idea @morr! If you and other contributors can study and put together a document defining the specs to make Pencil a strong pro software, it would be great!

With a users community, a crowd funding campaign can be possible and Pencil can become what we wish it to become.

Krita and Blender are such great examples of succesful free software business model.

What we need in order to join them is a users community and, for that matter, a roadmap to a pro software can help a lot!

• #27405 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@feeef Dont worry man, I have 110% faith in Pencil, Matt and you! 😀

I’m truly glad to hear that you are understanding how the engine works, it’s never easy to get to that point.

Later on I’d like to begin compiling those “unknown” features that Pencil actually has, to rehash the manual, but for now I won’t bother you guys at all (I’ll be free on the third week of december hopefully) 😛

• #27412 Score: 0

oinkystudio
    Participant
    15 pts

Ok.. tested the nightly build. Pencil tool is now buttery smooth! Open, Save and import dialogue is broken as well as some other tools but everything is slowly falling into place now. Thank you so much feef and matt.

Here’s the compiled version for Ubuntu. I don’t know if it will work correctly on other linux distros as I only have ubuntu in my machine and I use QT 5.5.1 for compiling.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0LATwtbVtB3emNORElvUHlGRTQ/view?usp=sharing

• #27415 Score: 0

CandyFace
    Participant
    13 pts

Its starting to look good, I occasionally look at github to see the activity and recently its been really active, which is awesome!

Unfortunately for me, the newest OSX 10.11 introduces some heavy modifications to how pen stabilization works it seems. It’s been a problem for pretty much every drawing/painting software so far, and its especially bad in Pencil2D for me. Making a stroke no matter how long or short, takes FOREVER and is completely unusable. Just take a look at this gif.

I believe it has something to do with the stabilization of the strokes, based on my experience with other programs doing the same thing and researching the subject.

Keep up the good work ^^

• #27418 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@highkillerdk It’s obvious to me that we need to find a MAC developer soon. There’s been many reports that are geared towards OSX in general, but it’s hard to fix them if noone that knows how to code for Pencil2D has a MAC (as far as I know). We thank you and other MAC users for their patience, hopefully this can be addressed rather soon.

• #27419 Score: 0

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

If the problem is related to the tablet driver on Mac OS and bad events handling within the QT framework, there is not much we can do…

The code that is painting the stroke on the screen is very straight forward. It is waiting for the tablet or mouse event to get the coordinates and it draws a dot with QPainter directly on the canvas QWidget object. Honestly, I don’t see how we can optimize that ?

• #27421 Score: 0

CandyFace
    Participant
    13 pts

@feeef It could very well be a problem in the tablet driver, or the QT framework, so i did some research and found a neat application to test my suspicion. It checks for the tablet input and outputs its coordinates like P2D, checking if you’re using a mouse or tablet, and draws on the canvas, but also some other things for easier debugging. The thing is though that i experience no lagging behind in this. There could be many reasons for that though, and i didn’t look too deep into the code, but i thought it would be interesting to share it nonetheless.

https://github.com/callaa/QTabletTest

I tried roughly to compare how it’s doing drawing and checking compared  to how P2D does it, but i’m simply not experienced enough in C++ to get something out of it.

My point with this is, that it might be something fixable when it’s not doing it in another application written in the same framework. Maybe it’s optimization but i don’t think it is. While the strokes are being produced, the cpu is not working at all.

• #27425 Score: 0

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

Thanks @highkillerdk! I guess that someone with the same setup will have to investigate deeper. There must be a bit of code somewhere that is not well handled by your environment…

I have a mac here but it is too old to install 10.11.

Maybe, one temporary ugly solution if your mac is fast enough is that you setup a VirtualBox VM running a lightweight Linux distro (Lubuntu, Trisquel mini) and you use Pencil from there.

I am sorry for not being able to help you more than that at the moment.

• #27460 Score: 0

oinkystudio
    Participant
    15 pts

New nightly build is out. Just tested it and I have to say that Pencil keeps getting better and better. Resize and rotate in bitmap layer works. Great job matt and feef!

• #27461 Score: 0

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

Thanks @oinkystudio! I am glad you like the new version! Open / save and export as image and image seqence also works.

“New document” is still broken after working on a document but I still didn’t get the time to work on that.

Scale and rotate on vector layer should work on the next build.

We are getting closer and closer to a usable version! I am working hard on that!

• #27462 Score: 0

manu
    Participant
    50 pts

Souns very good. Please post links to your Windows builds both 64 and 32. I can’t build myself anymore since this annoying ‘isnan’ problem appeared when building with Qt Creator. Would love to try out the new features.

Thank you again, feeef and matt for your devotion to pencil.

• #27463 Score: 0

kaiko
    Participant
    24 pts

I am with the same inconvenient: no longer being able to build the Mastercode from Github.

• #27464 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@manu @kaiko I was fiddling with this error and I found out that isnan has to be written as std::isnan for c++11. According to this reference http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/numeric/math/isnan

isnan is a macro function that determines if the value argument (the one inside parenthesis) is a NaN (Not-A-Number)

I basically replaced this over the toolmanager.cpp and the brushtool.cpp files where the errors were found and the program built successfully (plus a few warnings) despite this I couldn’t actually manage to execute Pencil but  I hope this helps you guys to run the recent source code somehow since you have more expertise testing it.

• #27465 Score: 0

manu
      Participant
      50 pts

@jose

Hey thanks for taking time looking into that. You where correct. That did it. 🙂

Funny I’ve looked at that statement several times myself, I just couldn’t just get it that it was this easy. Many thanks!!

To run the QT builds you can e.g. make a copy of the latest ‘official’ nightly folder and then you’ll have to copy a few dll’s from a bin folder under the c:\QT  directories. Pencil prompts for each dll it want’s so just copy those to the root Pencil folder. Once you have your folder set up, you can place new exe files there when you build new ones. That works for me.

• #27466 Score: 0

abhi
    Participant
    3 pts

Love the progress and activism. Superb… Great going guys. Thank you.

• #27467 Score: 0

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

Thanks a lot @morr ! I will update the code!

• #27470 Score: 0

kaiko
    Participant
    24 pts

Sorry, but I can’t help at the moment, I am not able to follow @morr or @manu indications. Totally blind about that.

I will wait till there is a “new something” to test it again.
    Congratulations to the developers. You all have been working very fast

• #27472 Score: 0

manu
    Participant
    50 pts
  • #27473 Score: 0

kaiko
    Participant
    24 pts

@manu,

Thank you for your help. It didn’t work for me @manu. First error message “… could not find or load the Qt platform….”
    “Available platform plugins are: windows”

Thank you any way.

• #27475 Score: 3

Matt Chang
    40 pts

Nightly build Dec 14 is out. (both windows and mac)

@oinkystudio could you share the linux builds via a shared folder? It would be convenient for everybody to download files, I can put the link on the top page.

• #27476 Score: 1

Matt Chang
    40 pts

@morr I have replaced all isnan() to std::isnan(), let me know if there are any other compiler errors.

• #27477 Score: 4

oinkystudio
    Participant
    15 pts

@matt ok will do.

Here’s shared a folder for all pencil2d nightly build available for ubuntu linux.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-3xNJ86y4WsSmVUWk5rb2VkcXM&usp=sharing

• #27481 Score: 0

CandyFace
    Participant
    13 pts

Okay good news! it seems that some of the newest changes has fixed the tablet problem.. at least i don’t have any issues anymore \o/ i tried the changes which feeef applied some days ago, and that didn’t fix it, but somewhere between that time and the last build, has fixed the problem for me.

edit: Ahh Matt fixed it a day ago, well awesome anyway ^^

• #27517 Score: 4

Matt Chang
    40 pts

Nightly build Dec 19 is out.

• #27519 Score: 1

kaiko
    Participant
    24 pts

Thank you Matt!

• #27585 Score: 2

Connorses
    Participant
    2 pts

Hey guys, I know I don’t come around this forum very often but I check in sometimes, and it’s always great to know Pencil2D is still getting updates and fixes. Not only is it great for animation, but it’s a nice drawing tool in general, and sometimes I use it for general digital art. I’ll be posting feedback when I can, I think I’ll have to check back more often. ;D

• #27589 Score: 1

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

Thank you very much @connors! The more users, the more feedback and the best Pencil will be!

• #27662 Score: 0

MiSc
    Participant
    2 pts

A little heads up, you might want to fix the filename of the Windows executable in the next release 😉

• #27780 Score: 4

Matt Chang
    40 pts

Nightly build Jan 14 is out.

• #27965 Score: 0

jonasthomas
    Participant
    8 pts

I was looking forward to pulling down the latest changes from github and the sight is down tonight…. ;(

I wonder if they forgot to renew there domain?

• #27968 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
      126 pts

@jonasthomas you mean the Github? weird I’m browsing it just fine :O Try clearing your browser cache, maybe it was indeed down, but now it’s up! 🙂

• #27970 Score: 0

jonasthomas
    Participant
    8 pts

Yep… Down and it’s now back up.

https://twitter.com/githubstatus

• #28093 Score: 1

icon
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi,

The Night build version for Linux doesn’t work anyway (I think only works on machine where it was compiled.)! I recommend checking this link.

http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/linux-deployment.html

Maybe this link helps to create a version  more portable.

https://forum.qt.io/topic/38094/solved-qt5-2-1-platform-issue-on-deployment-could-not-find-xcb-plugin-linux

Or check appimage way http://appimage.org/

like Krita, blender etc.

• #28160 Score: 0

Aqua Feathers
    Participant

Do you think you could fix a crashing problem when importing MP3 audio on a Mac…?

• #28173 Score: 0

chenjie108
    Participant

How do you get to the night build?

I downloaded the 2016 version and unzipped it and just have a bunch of folders: audio, bearer, iconengines, etc.

Not crazy tech-savvy, any help? Thanks

• #28174 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@chenjie108 It’s ok not all of us are super informed about technology 🙂 However you were right on track! after unzipping the Jan 14 2016 version file you’ll get this:

You just have to double click the only “application” file there is, on the image it’s the one that is highlighted with blue and has the little “pencil” icon that says “Pecil2D.exe” (it should actually say Pencil2D.exe but apparently there was a small typo when it was packaged) Hope this helps 🙂

Then the program will open! If you’re on a mac it should be a fairly similar process, although it should be a .dmg file if i’m not mistaken.

• #28175 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@aquafeathers Our developers are working on it. It’s not as easy as it seems tho. There has been some debate upon how to get to implement this feature so it becomes easier to fix should anything breaks in the future or if new developers take over the project, remember this is the nature of open-source software since it’s primarily boosted by volunteer efforts to make the project possible.

Anyway, right now I can’t offer you a definitive solution to this problem. I could make a tutorial on how to analyze sound using a professional 3D software called Blender, which is an open source (free) tool for 3D animation that conveniently has a video editing module. Since it also works in frames you could analyze your sounds in it and mark down which frames you would need to draw over in pencil2D, but of course this is not ideal.

Blender has however a feature called the grease pencil that allows you to draw almost as you would in Pencil, but despite being a solid app this feature is still slightly experimental for 2D animation.

I’m telling you this because we don’t want people like you to abandon their creative ideas just because the software is lacking some features, so I’d rather have you use something else as long as you can create the way you want to.

If you still want the tutorial to mix both programs let me know and I’ll gladly make it, other than that we just have to be patient meanwhile Pencil2D gets the sound capabilities added once and for all. Cheers.

• #28406 Score: 0

Aenuk
    Participant

Yei! i can finally work on my small monitor at higher resolutions! thank you so much!

• #28408 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@chchwy Thank you for getting March 9th Nightly build out 🙂

With that said I feel some issues that appear as “fixed” should not be linked in the Fix description because they are either not fixed or they weren’t really ‘bugs’.

So in order to warn other users when they are using this new Nightly Build i’ll write an ‘errata’ for the release notes below:

Issue #453 was closed not because it was fixed but because it was a duplicate of issue #289 which remains open.

So the sound problem has NOT been actually fixed. In fact in MArch 9th 2016 Nightly Build there’s a severely critical problem now where if you create a new sound layer, save the file and reopen the sound layer is gone. And to make it worse if you import a unique sound into that layer, once you reopen the actual sound file will be deleted from the computer! I just lost a test file like that, but if other users utilize this without warning they might lose their songs or unique files without warning! (I’ll report it properly later on)

Also Issue #449 was more like a question than a fix, because the user didn’t understand how to use the onion skin visualization feature and didn’t ask in the forum before reporting, so it shouldn’t be counted as a “fixed” problem, because there never was a problem to start with.

Issue #424 is fixed via #433 AND #436 was actually fixed via #456 which is not included in the notes. The layer management system still has a leftover minor bug which I will report soon, as it is related to this.

Issue #429 was a feature request that was ultimately dropped (hence it was closed), so it shouldn’t be counted as a “fix” however the idea still lingers in issue #391 which addresses similar features to favor unifying the selection and move tool into a single tool.

• #28418 Score: 0

Summit Animations
    Participant
    20 pts

I liked the new nightly build. Great work by the programmers.

I just found an issue, not a bug, but its about exporting image sequences. In the previous nightly builds it would say to select the camera layer before exporting or else it wouldn’t let us export. With the new one, I didn’t get such a message and I exported images sequences of a vector layer, and when I looked at the image files, they were all blank! Since I have been using Pencil for a while, I figured out that its because I didn’t select the camera layer, and hence the blank images. It was all good once I exported from the camera layer. But then there might be problem for new people who don’t know and will probably report bugs about image files being blank after exporting.

• #28428 Score: 0

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

Thanks for the feedback @sumit_makwana ! I have done that change and didn’t test it properly.

I tried to make the last used camera to be the one selected for the export.

I thought it would be useless to ask the user to select a camera when there is only one in the timeline.

But it seems there is something wrong when the camera is not manually selected. I will fix that!

Sorry about that!

• #28430 Score: 0

Summit Animations
    Participant
    20 pts

@feeef I like that idea about not always selecting the camera layer for export. It seems that something went wrong as you said. From what I see, you coded a way to use the last used camera to be selected for export? Maybe something went wrong there.

Could it be possible to code it in a way that it uses the current camera layer properties(resolution), rather than when it was last selected? From the look of it, it seems that it would then become necessary to select the camera layer at least once after any/every change made to it. Even though we would have to select the camera layer, in the first place, in order to make any change.

Anyways, I actually like the new change regarding the camera border. It was a pain earlier that when I zoomed out I couldn’t see the border if I wanted to work on a higher resolution like 1080p and above. But now its great. While retaining the infinite canvas factor, the locking of the camera layer border has made it good way to frame the animations. Heck, 4k is just around the corner now 😀 😀  I appreciate this a lot. Thank You developers.

• #28437 Score: 0

neeby
    Participant
    12 pts

Will there be a Mac version? I’d love to try it.

• #28444 Score: 0

alexandervrs
    Participant

I wonder, is there a build update on the nightlies coming? I’d love to be able to use the layer opacity especially.

• #28453 Score: 0

mcsblanc
    Participant

Bonjour

Je souhaiterai savoir est ce que vous envisagez l’évolution de la version MAC?

I shall like to know is what you envisage the evolution of version MAC?

merci

stephane

• #28610 Score: 0

artsunz
    Participant

Are the Windows nightly builds 64 bits only? I can’t get them to run, an error message pops up saying that the binary is not compatible with my version of Windows.

Running on W7 32 bits, by the way. Thanks in advance.

• #28612 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@artsunz Hey, yes apparently current Nightly Builds versions for Windows only work for 64 bits. However I cannot completely confirm this statement. Hopefully our lead developer @chchwy can help us with this. If noone answers I’ll ask in our Github, but for the moment I’m afraid there’s little I can do to help since I don’t know how to compile the source code to change this behaviour. I’ll try to be alert for any kind of development on this matter. Cheers.

• #28614 Score: 0

artsunz
      Participant

Ah, I kinda figured that was the case. Kind of a bummer but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reply, Jose!

• #28678 Score: 0

Matt Chang
    40 pts

Nightly build June 17 2016 is out.

• #28680 Score: 0

kaiko
      Participant
      24 pts

Thank you @chchwy!

I am doing a very small animation. I will continue it with this new build…

I will let you know details later

• #28685 Score: 0

Summit Animations
      Participant
      20 pts

Thank you for the update. Will start working on it soon. I’m being lazy these days. But want to work on something for passing time.

• #28699 Score: 0

kaiko
      Participant
      24 pts

I decided to post my view of the last Nightly Build here in one post, instead of opening a new post for every other comment.

So, be patient since it is a large text
      🙂

Resume after using last Nightly Build (17Junh2016)

In order to test this build Iam doing a small animation, till now I got 200 frames and 10 layers and Pencil2D takes about 30seconds to save it

My computer specification:
      Win8.1/ i7 6700k/ 32GB / GTX970

My concerns
      .Pencil2d starts with a camera resolution 640×840. Now a days it is a bit outdated. So why not delete this default resolution and implement a new one with at least 1024×768, or even better with 1920×1080 as default?

.It would be great if Pencil2D could handle copy/paste several frames, and re-create them along the Timeline. Also a request “Reverse Frame”‘s feature would be great in order to revert the position of the entire selected frames (frames would be pasted with their original position switched)

.For the Timeline, it would be of great use (specially for animations using more than 200frames) to have a keyboard shortcut for DRAGGING (left/right) the whole timeline for faster searching frames (feature similar to Blender3D)

So, resuming:
      REQUESTS:
      . Delete the default camera resolution and implement a new one (1920×1080, for instance)
      . Implement Copy/paste selected frames (I think it is already asked on Github)
      . Add new “ReverseFrames” feature
      . New Shortcut key for dragging Timeline

BUGS:
      .Only when using BRUSHtool
      FEATHER TOOL is always ON: When using the FeatherTool (on Tools Window), it is not working OK. When the “Use Feather?”‘s feature is NOT selected, it still brings feather to the strokes. In order to cancel it just move the Feather’s slide all down to zero. It also happens with the Feather on the EraserTool

.HORIZONTAL FLIP (on Display Window)
      When the canvas is flipped horizontally, you can not make a selection box (shortcut V) if you drag your cursor to the Right, but it is possible to create it while dragging the cursor to your LEFT (the selected box was flipped too).
      When the canvas is not flipped, you create a selection box dragging the cursor to your RIGHT
      (why do not make the Select tool to work both ways?)
      With the canvas still flipped, the way to resize a tool is also flipped horizontally, meaning you have to drag the cursor to your LEFT to INCREASE any particular value.

.Pencil2D always load an animation with 24fps (frames per second), even if the animation was saved at 12fps. Not sure if this is Ok

.The “FRAME SIZE IN PIXELS” (on Edit > Preferences > Timeline) does not work for values under 12. It will help to have it working for animations longer than 150 frames, for stretching the whole content of the Timeline

.Something that I found to be curious was the way Pencil2D handled the speed of my animation when played at the same rate speed 24fps: for some unknown reason it doesn’t play the animation at the exact same speed. Sometimes it slowed it down and it could be noticed clearly…

Now I am listing several ISSUES from Github in order to close them as they were already solved/implemented so far.
      So @chchwy, as you are the one in charge there, would you mind to just check those here, if you like of course, and have them closed?…. ah, by the way, I have re-checked all of them twice, so…
      🙂

ISSUE #131 (Rotating Tool) can be closed. It is already implemented

ISSUE #17 (Better Onion Skin) can be closed. It is already implemented

ISSUE #16 (Colour Library) I think can be closed, unless I missed something

ISSUE #262 (Crashing when importing .png sequence) can be closed. Pencil2D import .png sequence is working OK

ISSUE #254 (Add option to select language) can be closed. It is already implemented

ISSUE #157 (An instant/Pop-up palette….) is half implemented. We already have Penil2D with an Instant Colour-Wheel pop-up window. Maybe this ISSUE can be edited with an updated information?

ISSUE #243 (Implement Loop Selected Frames) can be closed. It is already implemented, but it is not very handy and it is very limited. The Loop Control does not allow users to enter a keyboard number but rather to click several times on the LoopControl box till you get the frames that you want.
      Related to this ISSUE, the LOOP CONTROL can only be applied from frame 1 to frame 99. If the animation is longer than 100 frames, this feature is of no use when you select a range of frames, lets say, from frame 150 to frame 200

ISSUE #458 is a duplicated of ISSUE #6. Delete one of them 🙂

ISSUE #35 (Error importing anything from the importing option…) can be closed. Meanwhile I would like to add the following information just to check that that ISSUE was solved:
      Importing SINGLE IMAGE: ALL images with the following extensions can be imported inside Pencil2D (png/PNG, jpg/JPG, bmp/BMP, gif/GIF, tif/TIF (lowercase/uppercase)
      Importing IMAGE SEQUENCE: Only the following extensions png, jpg, bmp are working fine (only lowercase extensions)
      The uppercase extensions are not working when importing Image Sequence. Can this be considered normal and not a bug?

ISSUE #427 (“openRecent” feature is not working) I think it can be closed, but read the next information.
      I noticed something that might have me thinking it was a bug at first, not sure now. The OpenRecent window ONLY shows the recent files path for files with .pclx extension. If I happen to Import a png image using the IMPORT IMAGE feature, it will not be showed there. Is this OK?

That’s all
      Have a nice animation
      🙂

• #28715 Score: 0

Matt Chang
        40 pts

Thank you @kaiko

1. I will update the default camera resolution, maybe 1280×720 is ok? It’s a modern size but not occupy the whole FHD screen space.

2. Copy/Paste selected frame and reverse frame all is about timeline manipulation. It’s currently the weakness of Pencil2D. I will put them into the development plan in next version.

3. Shortcut key for dragging Timeline, got it.

4. Feather/Selction when Horizontal flip/fps problem I will keep track of them.

5. #6, #16, #17, #35, #131, #243 #254 are closed

6. Importing Image Sequence with uppercase extension is a bug, you are right.

7. The number of Loop control <100 is a bug.

8. Open Recent only work for .pcl/.pclx.

• #28718 Score: 0

kaiko
          Participant
          24 pts

Hey @chchwy
          Very nice update!

1. About the new camera resolution, 1280×720 looks better but I am not sure about its “height” value (720). Maybe @morr would like to come here and help us and give his opinion, also other animators. But it is definitely a more updated resolution.
          [a note: I use different resolutions for my three monitors, none of them have a height value lower than 800, but of course it depends on the relation of the two values, and the graphic card output resolutions]

We are getting there @chchwy!
          I am starting to see the real potential withing Pencil2D. Really nice User Interface, no other software has it [oh, I would like to mention the automatic resize feature implemented to the ColorWheel Panel, I just noticed it a while back, and the Alpha Channel fix-value was a good one] and really good improvements since the beginning of its development

And one thing left, a very important Shortcut key (C) is not working. It doesn’t pop-up the ColorWheel/Palette
          There is still other shortcuts that do not work at all, but I will update a list with those when necessary

• #28720 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
            126 pts

@kaiko @chchwy 1280 x 720 is the resolution quoted as “720p” it’s basically a High definition resolution, which is pretty common these days. I think it’s ok that the default has been changed, however it isn’t exactly better. Most people use low resolutions to avoid Pencil crashing, or because they are creating web animation via GIF’s, so it’s not like having it be 640 x 480 (which was TV Standard Definition resolution until a few years ago) was any different.

I’d be much more interested to allow the user to change permanently the base resolution to anything they want. This is a matter for a feature request I have yet to make which is to migrate the real Pencil preferences to an actual file. I discovered these preferences are bound to the registry which is incredibly tedious to change and it doesn’t help when testing several builds (remember those threads where people were complaining about how the floating windows would not reappear after reinstalling? well that’s the cause)

• #28725 Score: 0

kaiko
            Participant
            24 pts

@morr

I agree with your idea about having multiple choices while changing the camera values. That is why I invit everybody to say something about how good a camera resolution would be for you, we can have more and clear ideas

Still I do believe the default camera 640×840 is really in need to be deleted. Developers can add settings from “720p” up. But again, it would be a good idea if some other animator would give us some light about this

Thanks for commenting!

(by the way, do you know how to upload a file directly to @chchwy? using this forum?)

• #28688 Score: 0

giannijk
    Participant

Thanks a lot Matt!!!!!!!!!!

• #28714 Score: 0

Matt Chang
    40 pts

Nightly build July 1 is out.

• #28719 Score: 0

kaiko
      Participant
      24 pts

Thank you.

I will test it when I have time. The sound part is a new thing for me.

• #28721 Score: 0

Summit Animations
      Participant
      20 pts

Dang that was fast. Thank You Matt and the developers volunteering. Keep it up.

• #28723 Score: 0

neeby
    Participant
    12 pts

Thanks for fixing the sound.

A couple of issues I’ve noticed so far – if I pause midway through playback and then hit play again, I get silence.

If I turn on ‘Loop’, the sound file keeps playing through to the end, instead of starting over when the animation goes back to frame 1.

The sound on/off button doesn’t appear to work.

I’m on Mac OSX El Capitan.

• #28724 Score: 0

kaiko
      Participant
      24 pts

Everything you mentioned is also happening here with my system

Win8.1x64bits

• #28745 Score: 0

kaiko
    Participant
    24 pts

Hi @chchwy and other volunteers! 🙂

Now that our site allows to login, I am now going to describe my last impressions of the NightlyBuild from 01July2016

First check here the animation, sort of, that I made using this build. It is called Timing Spacing and Painting

Timing Spacing and Painting
    I just got some images examples from Internet and use them in order to get an exact idea/felling of what Timing and Spacing would look like. 🙂

So, now my review for the NightlyBuild 01July2016

When changing my monitor resolution (its height value), the TimeLine in Pencil2D keeps tracking it and resizes accordingly. So, when having several number of layers (12 for instance), the Timeline will not allow to be fully resized in order to see all layer till the bottom one.
    [I thought it was worth to mention it, even if it is not a bug 🙂 ]

ISSUE BucketTool:
    The BucketTool does not work well when using it in addition with a colour Alpha different tan the default 255 value
    For checking this: open Pencil2D > draw a basic closed shape > choose a colour on the ColourWheel > change its Alpha Value to something different from 255 > choose the BucketTool and go to the shape to fill it. At the end, it will not fill the whole shape but will “fill” it with just one horizontal line for each try.

Colour Issue.
    Example: Choose any pre-defined colour on the “ColourPalette” window (for instance the colour named “Green”). Go to the ColourWheel Panel and select a different colour (RED, for instance).
    Checking now you will see that a “new” pre-define RED-color is placed on the List, replacing the GREEN one. I believe it should not behave like that because it is just adding the same changes of the ColourWheel selection and for that order all other colours are not protected and will eventually change without warning, and that does not make any sense since all colours have their specific name displayed next to its colour.
    Another thing is that there is the “plus” for AddingColour feature. There should also have a Removecolour feature
    REQUEST:
    -make the pre-defined colours on the ColourPalette’s List to be independent of the ColourWheel changes
    -add a RemoveColour feature on the ColourPalette panel

Issue with the BrushTool
    Here another thing with the FEATURE Tool mentioned above on my previous post #28699. Now it is behaving differently because I was using the NightlyBuild from 01July2016.
    Select the BrushTool. UNCHECK the “Use Feather?” feature (in the Options Panel) and have the “Pressure” option SELECTED: the result will bring strokes with NO pressure sensitivity. Not selecting this Feather option works the same way as Not selecting Pressure sensitivity
    Request: to allow independent use of the Feather and Pressure options

Improving Request
    Is there a way to use the MoveTool (hotkey Q) in addition with the “arrow keys” on the keyboard in order to execute precise moves of objects along the X and Y axis AND allowing additional extra functionality for moving them “x5” or “x10” times faster along the canvas?
    Right now it is a bit of time consuming for instance if we want to move an object from right to left because as default the “arrow keys” only allows to move objects one (1) millimetre at the time
    Request: add a shortcut for Speed Precise Move 5xrigth/left 5xup/down (or even 10x faster)

it is all
    Keep animating your life!

🙂

• #28759 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
      126 pts

@neeby Hi I noticed the sound issues too, I have to make a bug report regarding that, there are a lot of problems, but at least we can hear sound now, it’s just not practical at the moment.

@kaiko Great comments. I’d like to ask you to report any issues on the Github repository. Due to the hacking problem the devs have been hanging around only on github, and it’s better to make separate reports for separate bugs.

Also nice timelapse :), take care!

• #28778 Score: 0

kaiko
        Participant
        24 pts

Hi @morr

I don’t have a Github account any more. But I understand your point 🙂

To Developers:
        Building the last MasterCode from Github (01Set2016) gives me the following feedback:

Finally we got implemented the pop-up window for alerting users to save their work before closing Pencil2D. Working fine. Well done! 🙂
        Also the signal Star for alerting users of any unsaved changes was a good clever feature and it is working OK

Keep animating… your life!

EDITED:
        I am not sure if someone already mentioned it before but the BRUSH Tool is lagging a bit while placing strokes. It is more noticeable if we speed up the process.

hei @feeef.
        We all know you have not free time as before, but I would really like to ask you if you did managed to implement, even in a Alpha/trashy state, MyPaint Brush engine inside Pencil2D?
        I would like to play with it if you don’t mind, for testing purpose

Thank you in advance

• #28783 Score: 0

feeef
          Participant
          75 pts

@kaiko, I have actually done very good progress on the mypaint integration but I have been struggling like crazy on one single feature that is zooming in and out on the canvas.

The mypaint brush engine is behaving differently from the previous brush engine in term of rendering and it is why I cannot reuse the old code for that matter. Having an infinite drawing area is causing me real problems at the moment. I will need some help from people more clever than me!

I will disable this feature at the moment and complete the brush engine integration (which shouldn’t be a problem), in order for everyone to have a preview of how good Pencil can be with mypaint.

Trust me, it is pretty fast (as mypaint is) and it is even working very well on my 13 years old powerbook G4. Mypaint is such an amazing piece of software!

As soon as I get the time, I will complete this “preview” version and let you know about it!

I am sorry, I wish I could have more time and be faster! Be patient, I am still very motivated and I can’t wait for Pencil to go Mypaint!

• #28786 Score: 0

kaiko
            Participant
            24 pts

Hi @feeef
            That is a wonderful, wonderful news, really! (I should have asked you for that long ago LOL 😀 )
            I am really really excited about the idea of having Pencil2D with better painting tools. To be honest I believe it will be a more suitable software than KritaAnimation, for me.

I have just downloaded the latest version of MyPaint but unfortunately it doesn’t even open on my system (Windows 8.1). I remembered to have tested it long ago, when it worked sort-of, and really liked the way the painting tools worked, also like its icons, etc…

And Yes, please, finish that implementation with MyPaint and allow us to play with it. If Zooming is the “only” main problem, I believe disabling it we can still animate (and paint) without too much trouble… well, that is my guess
            🙂

Thank you!

• #28790 Score: 0

feeef
            Participant
            75 pts

@kaiko,
            I use krita and mypaint quite often as I only work with free software and I have to admit that I like both of them.

Krita is very powerful but it is resource intensive. The animation tool is a bit buggy but very usable. It is my current animation software but I will replace it with Pencil2D at some point! 😉

Mypaint is much lighter while being such a powerful brush engine. However, at the moment, Mypaint is only usable for digital painting because the software is missing a lot of image manipulation features like select and transform tools.

I believe that Pencil2D with Mypaint will be an amazing combination and will attract a lot of animators.

• #28792 Score: 0

kaiko
            Participant
            24 pts

“Pencil2D with Mypaint will be an AMAZING! combination and will attract a lot of animators”

Sure thing!
            😀

• #28807 Score: 1

feeef
            Participant
            75 pts
  • #28746 Score: 0

mcsblanc
    Participant

Bonjour à toutes et tous

J’utilise la dernière version du 1er juillet 2016 sur mon IMAC.

Elle fonctionne de mieux en mieux. J’ai un problème avec le zoom
    et la souris. Le zoom est beaucoup trop rapide et comme j’ai une souris tactile
    le zoom se déclenche même quand je fais un clic droit ou gauche.

Avez vous déjà eu ce problème et peut-il être résolu?
    I use the latest version of 1 July 2016 on my IMAC.

It works better. I have a problem with the zoom
    and mouse. The zoom is far too fast and as I have a touch mouse
    the zoom is activated even when I make a right or left click.

Have you ever had this problem and it can be solved?

Merci et bonne continuation.
    Stéphane

• #28749 Score: 0

mcsblanc
    Participant

Bonjour

Quand on sort de Pencil2D, dans la dernière version du 1er juillet,
    si on a oublié de sauvegarder l’application se ferme quand même.
    Avez vous constaté ce problème.

Quand on veut modifier un point d’une courbe vecteur qui chevauche
    une autre courbe, le point déplace les deux courbes.

When one leaves Pencil2D in the latest July 1,
    if you forgot to save the application is still firm.
    Have you noticed this problem.

When we want to change a point of a vector curve that overlaps
    another curve, the point moves the two curves.

Merci pour tout votre travail.
    Stéphane

• #28753 Score: 0

Jose Moreno
    126 pts

@mcsblanc Hi Stéphane, If you are experiencing issues, bugs or want to suggest features please do it on the Github repository. Since there are few developers and we had a problem with hackers on this site, not many of them are visiting the forum.

https://github.com/pencil2d/pencil/issues

I hope this is not a problem for you, but if it is I’ll try to post these issues in the github and link to your posts. Sorry it took me so long to answer but i’ve been really busy as well. Take care and thank you for letting us know 🙂

• #28784 Score: 0

feeef
    Participant
    75 pts

@mcsblanc, désolé pour la réponse tardive. J’ai moi aussi eu ce genre de problème avec quelques logiciels en utilisant la souris Apple, ce qui m’a poussé à changer de souris.

On devrait ajouter un réglage dans les préférences pour choisir entre “scroll” ou “ctrl + scroll” pour zoomer.

Comme le suggère José, je vais rajouter le bug sur Github.

Merci pour ton post en tout cas!

• #28846 Score: 0

kaiko
    Participant
    24 pts

@chchwy

You made it again!…. Thank you. Now Pencil2D looks a bit more fun/serious to work with

I have just saw your last merge pull (#539) and that is a big list of coding… and that was only for the new Movie Exporting thing

I have tested the MasterCode from Github (10Oct2016) and:
    The Movie Export is working OK
    The MP4 and AVI extensions renders are OK. The GIF final render is showing some halo yellow colours around shapes

One thing for those trying this MasterCode. You will need to add a new folder called plugins to the same directory as the executable Pencil2D.
    You will need to extract the ffmpeg.exe from here: (download the proper file to your system and after unzipping it go to the folder called bin) and copy the ffmpeg.exe file to the plugins folder)
    https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

New things were improved and added from the last build:
    .Shortcut key for dragging Timeline new addition [MMB + Dragging left/right]. Was something that I asked you and you made it 🙂 …. Working fine and it is sooo useful
    .The number of Loop control is fixed. Can now be looped to >100 frames. Added to this there is a new Yellow colour line showing the selected loop frames on the timeline. Nice and clever one
    .The “FRAME SIZE IN PIXELS” (on Edit > Preferences > Timeline) was improved allowing now to work with values under 12pixels. Great improvement for longer animations

So far so good
    Thank you to those helping Matt

:).. Keep animating your life

• #28848 Score: 1

Matt Chang
      40 pts

@kaiko

Give credit to @scribblemaniac, he did a bunch of improvements/bug fixes.

• #28857 Score: 0

kaiko
        Participant
        24 pts

You are right. I wasn’t paying too much attention to names when I checked the MasterCode from GitHub, and now I can see that @scribblemaniac has done a fantastic job. Really nice improvements to the timeline 🙂

Thank you @scribblemaniac for your time and dedication here!

• #28851 Score: 3

Matt Chang
    40 pts

Nightly build Oct 10 for Windows is out.

• #28855 Score: 0

kaiko
      Participant
      24 pts

Thank you @chchwy for this update.

I will not be able to test it the next days, so much work around here. So when I get the chance I will do a review of it, if not a mini-short animation or so made with it

• #28853 Score: 1

Matt Chang
    40 pts

Nightly build Oct 12 for Mac is out!

• #28944 Score: 0

Pierrot
    Participant
    4 pts

Hi guys!
    I have a problem. May be it’s just for me but… why I can’t move the camera frame on camera layer. I have this problem in all last few builds. 0.5.4 is OK.

• #28945 Score: 0

Pierrot
    Participant
    4 pts

I have read forum and understood, that camera don’t works for now. Waiting for improvement!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.